Hillcrest Christian School: English Language Development Program
Hillcrest Christian school is an I-20 authorized school that accepts international students at all levels – kindergarten through high school. We provide a Christian philosophy of education, a challenging curriculum, immediate integration, athletics, activities and events, a committed, qualified staff, and an English SDAIE class for English language learners in high school..
Call to arrange a visit: 805.497.7501 Ext. 266
Welcome to the HCS English Language Development Department (ELD, I-20 Authorized School)!
Congratulations on your pursuit in learning English as a second language, or for many of you, as a third or fourth language. According to one almanac, English is spoken by over 470 million people across the globe, and it is the official language of over 45 countries. In many countries, knowing how to speak and write English increases your chances of getting a higher-paying job. Whether it is for these reasons or others, your desire to study the English language is a worthwhile one.
Our program is unique in the following ways:
- All ELD students are matriculated immediately and enrolled in regular middle school or high school courses along with English language classes.
- An English SDAIE (sheltered English) class is offered in the high school for all English Language Learners (ELLs).
- Current U.S. immigration regulations allow students who study at a private high school to remain longer in the United States than at a public high school. Thus, a student can potentially complete all four years of high school study at our school and receive an American high school diploma.
- The program includes three planned, day-long social outings in Southern California, to help experience American culture.
- Courses are taught by highly qualified teachers and ESL specialists.Students have access to a wide variety of sports, music, and art programs available at our school.
- Our location alone makes for a unique experience. We are located in beautiful Thousand Oaks, approximately an hour’s drive from Disneyland and Universal Studios, and scenic beaches like Malibu and Santa Barbara. It’s a beautiful suburban environment, fully accessible to many of the cultural opportunities of Southern California.
- Although Hillcrest does not offer a home stay program, students in need of a host family may contact the program director for a list of potential families that have been screened and approved by our school.
- The average HCS student tests two years ahead of the national average.
- HCS is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students by issuing I-20 forms in grades kindergarten through 11. Hillcrest does not accept new students in their senior year of high school (12th grade).
- Students in elementary can enter the school year at any time. Secondary students must enroll at the beginning of a semester. The school year runs from late August to early June.
- To ensure that the international students are immersed in the culture and have an American school experience, we limit the amount of international students in each grade level.
- After-school support is available for all grades and is included in the program fee.
With the combined benefits of all that our international program has to offer and the safe, nurturing environment of a Christian school, we invite you to become a part of Hillcrest Christian School. For more information, please contact Katherine Weckhurst at kweckhurst (@hillcrestcs.org)
ELD Program Requirements
- Completed application with $150.00 non-refundable processing fee
- Current and previous year’s translated transcripts or report cards
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers written or translated in English
- Photocopy of valid passport
- Recent bank statement of parents or legal guardians, as proof of funds
- SLATE test with a minimum of level 3
- Church Reference Form
- Student interview (in person or computer dialogue)
- Host family interview
Would you like Information about Hillcrest sent to your Email Inbox?
Schedule a School Tour and Educational Success Consultation Today!
Call our admissions director, LuAnn Malcolm, to schedule your visit.